Monday, July 28, 2008

Sharks...

Growing up, I loved the ocean and, my dad taught me how to body surf at an early age. I still love the ocean, surfing, boogie boarding and, wake boarding. There is just something about the water that makes me happy, calm, and free. But, what does it feel like to be in the water and, not knowing what lurks beneath the dark water below? I have been in this scenario many times being that I frequent the surf as much as I possibly can. The thoughts of the day that I was out on my surf board enjoying the water, was all brought back by "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel. I have nothing against sharks, I am in awe of them. These animals have such a bad reputation and, are probably the most misunderstood animal on the planet. Everyone has their own opinion of course, myself being one of them. We are not born to inhabit the ocean, we are land lubbers. The ocean is the shark's home, it eats there, and, we are considered fair game in their environment. So, it brings me back to that day I was out straddling my surfboard waiting for a good set and, was nudged by one. It happened without warning, it came and, went rather quickly. I knew exactly what it was, because the shape of it in the water left nothing to the imagination. The next thing I knew I was paddling to shore as fast as I could. I don't remember a lot of the details of this episode because, my survival pilot light was on! I just know that it's something that I would rather not experience again! Although, I do enjoy my water sports, this will always be in the back of the mind, "what is lurking beneath me?" It's actually very rare that I will ever be an shark attack victim, I have a better chance being hit by lighting.



Actual Shark Attack On Surfer

No comments: